To maintain the warmth and efficiency of your Ottawa home, consider these fall HVAC guidelines:
- Schedule a professional assessment of your HVAC system with AirZone.
- Optimize your thermostat settings for different times of the day and night.
- Regularly maintain and clean your furnace filters.
- Check and clean your chimney and fireplace for optimal performance.
- Seal leaks around your home, particularly in the attic and near windows and doors.
- Use clear plastic to insulate windows.
- Check your attic for proper insulation. Remember than insulation should never be compressed for optimal value.
- Manage natural light effectively with curtains and clean windows to enhance warmth.
- For optimal warmth and light, clean the windows on your home’s south side.
- Install weather-stripping on external doors to keep the cold out.
- To avoid freezing, insulate and wrap your water pipes.
- Fix any dripping taps to conserve water and prevent damage.
- Keep the space around your heat pump free from obstructions for efficient operation.
Additional Energy Saving Tips
- Install a smart programmable thermostat for varying temperatures day and night.
- IInsulate your water tank and the initial six feet of both hot and cold water pipes.
- Reduce your water heater’s temperature to 120°F to save on energy costs.
- Place rubber gaskets behind outlets and switch plates on external walls for better insulation.
- Opt for low-flow showerheads to conserve water.
- Consider a cold climate heat pump to reduce reliance on gas or electricity.
To enhance indoor air quality and minimize health risks:
- Regularly replace batteries in smoke, radon, and carbon monoxide detectors, especially when adjusting clocks (a good reminder time twice a year).
- Consider installing a ventilation system for improved air circulation.
- Address water damage in carpets and materials promptly.
- Maintain cleanliness to reduce allergens.
- Exercise caution with fuel-burning appliances to prevent leaks.
- Ensure household chemicals are safely stored & disposed in an appropriate manner.