Purchasing a new furnace is a big investment. Ottawa homeowners rely on their furnace to keep their family warm during the winter months. It is very important for your comfort and safety to have a furnace that will be reliable for years to come. There are a few common mistakes made by consumers in Ottawa area when making this important purchase. Please refer to the points below to ensure that you are making an informed and smart choice!
Ask for Multiple References
- One of the best ways to ensure you are dealing with a quality Ottawa heating and cooling dealer is to ask for recent customer references as well as old references. Often problems are not spotted until years down the road, and this is why it is important to check for installations completed a few years back. You want your furnace installation company to be around if you ever have an issue, and companies that have been in business for more than a few years are definitely more reliable. It is not enough to trust the testimonials posted by the company… Talk to real people about their experience with each Ottawa HVAC dealer.
Check for WSIB and Current Insurance
- Unfortunately there are a lot of individuals selling Ottawa heating and cooling equipment who are not properly licensed. This puts the homeowner at great risk! You need to make sure that anyone working on your home is qualified and properly insured to protect you and your investment. Also, make sure to have a look at the liability insurance coverage amount to ensure it is adequate for coverage.
Buying Solely On Price
- We understand that a new furnace is a big expenditure. Higher end furnaces offer greater efficiency which can offset the cost over the lifetime of the unit. Think about how important a furnace is to your home. Repair bills on low quality equipment can eat up any initial cost savings very quickly. Another important question to ask yourself is “Do you really want the most inexpensive installer to perform your furnace installation?” Quality workmanship and installation expertise comes at a higher price but is worth it in the end. HVAC dealers such as AirZone provide more reliable installations and after sales customer service. We will be here if something goes wrong down the road.
Obtaining Only One Quote
- Although the smart consumer does not want to be taken advantage of most understand that a slightly higher price is worth it. The best way to compare dealers is to receive multiple quotes from qualified dealers. Make your decision considering how long the HVAC company has been in business, how many installations they perform each year, how comfortable you are with their comfort advisors, and what is the overall feel of the organization. This information will allow you to make an informed decision on your Ottawa furnace purchase.
Look at the Company’s Paperwork and Fine Print
- When you were quoted on a new furnace did you receive this in writing? Were the terms and conditions clearly laid out to you? We have some pretty crazy examples of furnace estimates that were written on an advertisement and told that was the contract. Be weary of long labour warranties from dealers who have not been in business for a long time. This is a common practice in Ottawa where a business will last only a couple of years before changing their name to avoid honouring these warranties. Look for clear written warranties and protect your purchase.
Renting a Furnace
- For most consumers in Ottawa renting a furnace will cost you way more in the long run. This type of approach is often a sales gimmick to entice customers to pay more. Think about what a rental is for a second. A typical furnace has a typical lifespan of 12 to 17 years. Is this HVAC dealer really going to remove a furnace from my home an put it somewhere else? Instead, the total cost of the furnace will be recouperated over the first 5 to 8 years by the dealer. They can then collect profit for the next few years hoping your furnace lasts for a very long time. As an alternative, compare financing rates so that you actually own the unit. By financing, you will maintain control over your furnace purchase and ensure you have options down the road. You will also save a lot of money versus renting over the long run.
Falling For Pressure Sales Tactics
- There are many HVAC dealers in Ottawa who utilize pressure sales tactics and tricks to push you into a furnace purchase quickly. Take you time if you can and don’t fall for pressure sales. Also, never purchase heating equipment from door to door sales people. Always ask for proper identification when anyone comes in your home and make sure they actually work for the company they are representing.
We hope that this guide will help you to make an informed Ottawa furnace purchase! We would also love for you to consider AirZone HVAC Services for all of your Ottawa heating needs. We have built a strong reputation for quality furnace installations in Ottawa and the Valley based on our quality you can trust guarantee, expert installers, and friendly approach. We also never utilize any pressure sales tactics and are here to make the furnace installation process easy for you. Thank you for your consideration.